Saturday, December 4, 2010

Producer's Journal: Charlotte Cotterill Brown

          Researching the histories of important Christian holidays such as Christmas, Easter, Valentine’s Day, and St. Patrick’s Day was very interesting for me.  I thought that with my limited experiences with religion in England with the Church of England that I wouldn’t know much about the actual histories other than what I’ve learned from their secularization.  However, I knew a little more than I thought I did already.  Learning more about where the actual holidays came from was very inspiring and interesting.  Although I like learning about different religions and the histories behind them, the fact that these holidays have been secularized doesn’t bug me.  As I am not religious at all, I find it actually helpful that these now mainstream religions have been secularized allowing more people to celebrate and spread holiday cheer.  The holidays, as the Christmas season is now called, are a time for giving and sharing with family and friends, despite the underlying theme and message of the birth of Jesus.  Christmas is one of my favorite holidays and always has been very enjoyable.  For my family and I it is a time for family and we always spend the day together playing with our presents and eating lots of good food.  Baking makes it homey and enjoyable.  I still recognize that the true meaning of Christmas is for Jesus, but as I was raised in a nonreligious setting I celebrate the more secularized aspects of Christmas such as Santa and gifts, but with a deeper meaning of my family and the love and support we have for each other.

No comments:

Post a Comment